The coastal city of San Francisco, California, invites you to explore its hip neighbourhoods and enjoy its liberal, relaxed atmosphere. The heart of downtown is Union Square, a great spot to shop, relax and watch the world go by. The Embarcadero is a busy waterfront roadway taking in some of San Francisco’s most famous landmarks, including Market Street, the Bay Bridge and the San Francisco Ferry Building.
Fisherman’s Wharf, at the northern end of the Embarcadero, is known for great shops and restaurants. Golden Gate Bridge and the island fortress of Alcatraz. are easy to get to from here. Nearby at Pier 39 you can enjoy the best views of San Francisco and visit the sea lion colony. Experience the hustle and bustle of Chinatown, or head to the Haight-Ashbury district, where you’ll find independent record stores, smoke shops and cafes. Nearby Marin County is home to the ancient redwoods of Muir Woods National Monument and the relaxed bayside hamlet of Sausalito.
The most important places to visit in San Francisco are:
- Golden Gate Bridge (no trip to San Francisco is complete without a visit to the Golden Gate Bridge. It truly is a special site that you will remember for a long time)
- Alcatraz Island (located in San Francisco Bay, Alcatraz used to have a prison which housed some of the toughest criminals. You can take a tour of the prison today)
- Coit Tower (gracing the landscape of San Francisco, the art deco tower was constructed to beautify the city. The observation tower at the top offers excellent city views)
- Golden Gate Park (it’s an oasis that offers an escape from the city. The large park has beautiful landscape design with well-maintained gardens)
- Architectural heritage (a favourite activity for visitors to San Francisco is enjoying the architecture of local houses. These houses can even be found on many city postcards),
- Fisherman’s Wharf (a popular tourist attraction. Fisherman’s Wharf many activities, like boat cruises and you may even be able to watch sea lions in action)
- Cable cars (one of San Francisco’s icons, cable cars are not only fun to ride, but also an efficient means for getting to various attractions within San Francisco) and many more.