Bucket lists were made for the Caribbean: from adrenaline junkies looking for their next daring adventure to nature lovers hoping to spot a group of frolicking dolphins, there’s something for everyone.
Below are the top 10 things to do, and suggestions for how to do them, in the most popular and exciting places to visit in the Caribbean:
- Zipline through the Jungle: The Caribbean offers some of the world’s best ziplining thanks to its high trees, rainforests and thick treetop canopies. Adrenaline junkies will be thrilled by the Zipline Canopy Eco-Adventure from San Juan, Puerto Rico and the Zipline and Horseback Riding Combination Tour in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic.
- Set Sail at Sunset: What could be better than watching the sun setting over the teal and turquoise waters of the Caribbean? Travellers can sail the warm and calm seas on the Aruba Sunset Catamaran Cruise or excite their sense of taste with a Grand Cayman Catamaran Dinner Cruise.
- Get below the surface—snorkel: Caribbean beauty descends below the softly breaking waves, and snorkelers can pet and play with stingrays on the Grand Cayman Stingray City adventure or kiss a dolphin, rub its belly and get pulled along through the water on a Grand Cayman Dolphin Swim Adventure.
- Hike through the Rainforest: Some Caribbean islands such as Puerto Rico have their own rainforest, and the El Yunque Rainforest Half Day Trip from San Juan lets nature lovers get up close and personal with the habitat’s unique vegetation and animals.
- Go on a Jungle Safari: Take the Caribbean road less-traveled to parts of the Caribbean ripe with lush trees, wildlife and gorgeous vistas during the Dominican Republic Mega Truck Safari, while the Curacao North Shore Jeep Safari gives travelers a chance to see lizards, wild pigs and flamingos.
- Go Whale or Dolphin Watching: Small and colourful tropical fish and sea turtles aren’t the only species to call the waters of the Caribbean home. Nature lovers will enjoy watching dolphins and whales in their home habitat on the Whale Watching and Dolphin Spotting Cruise from the North Island.
- Sip Some Island Drinks: Caribbean locals are passionate and dedicated to their homegrown drinks, especially their rum. To get the flavour of the local’s love, vacationers in Puerto Rico can take the Rum Distillery and Old San Juan Half-Day Tour, which takes them through the world of Bacardi, the largest rum distillery. Those looking to drink the rum more than tour how it’s made will enjoy the Bermuda Rum Cruise.
- Take a Cruise: The Caribbean is as much about the sea as it is about the island. Travellers can experience speeding over the water and get the chance to feed iguanas on a private island on the Exuma Powerboat Adventure from Nassau, Bahamas. Adventurous travellers will enjoy exploring a volcano on the St. Lucia Catamaran Day Sail.
- Hit the Beach in a Dune Buggy or ATV: A fun, adventurous and memorable time—on land—is possible with a selection of tropical dune buggy and ATV adventures, from the San Juan ATV Adventure Tour, the Jamaica ATV Off-Road Adventure to Sandy Bay, and the Punta Cana Half-Day Dune Buggy Adventure.
- Search for Waterfalls: The Caribbean is home to many beautiful waterfalls and the Jamaica Combo Tour: Dunn’s River Falls and Bob Marley’s Nine Mile combines extra sites for travellers to see in addition to swimming at the Falls. Travellers can also visit waterfalls as part of a day tour that covers much of a city or area, such as the Santiago and Jarabacoa Waterfalls in the Dominican Republic.
To help travellers determine which items to cross off their lost-in-paradise bucket list this year, Viator.com the leading resource for researching and booking tours and activities worldwide combined traveller reviews, bookings and data from millions of travellers who visited Viator.com last year to compile the 2012 Viator Travel Awards: Caribbean Edition.