Vienna is the capital of Austria, in Central Europe. It is an ancient fortress city that lies nestled on the eastern fringe of the Alps, on the banks of the Danube River. One hundred years ago, this glittering city gave birth to an artistic and cultural revolution that changed the future and secured forever, Vienna’s place as one of the world’s great cities.
Things To See & Do
- Visit the Demel Bakery, the original confectioners to the Austrian Royal Family. Order a sachentorte – a traditional chocolate cake and relax with an international newspaper.
- Stroll to the Vienna State Opera, considered one of the greatest opera houses in the world. Take a backstage tour, learn the story of this historic place and see the hidden machinery that creates the performance magic.
- A little further along the ring is the Hofburg Imperial Palace. This impressive palace was home to the Hapsburg dynasty who ruled the area for centuries and currently serves as the official residence for the President of Austria.
- Examine ancient manuscripts and see the some of the earliest globes in the Austrian National Library which is also housed here.
- Take the time to enjoy the Volksgarten – or people’s garden – famous for its more than 400 species of roses and the Theseus Temple in its centre. There are 2000 parks in Vienna so there is always somewhere nearby to relax.